Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Freaking Out


So I went in for my last preparatory visit for my Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on Thursday morning. It's all systems go. I had my last meal last night, and I am not allowed to eat anything between now and the surgery. Giving up caffeine was brutal. I was drinking about five liters of Diet Coke a day, and I've gone from that to nothing. I feel like I'm wrapped in gauze all the time. That is, when my head isn't hurting.

Last night was really the first time I was kind of freaking out, losing sleep about the thought of a surgeon sewing up my stomach. I guess a "what the hell am I doing" phase is necessary at some point. I just want the next week or so over, so that I can start the massive adjustment period, complete with vomiting, dumping syndrome, dehydration, and the horror of fast food advertisements.

I'm fatter then I've ever been. Though it shames me greatly to say it, I've peaked at 408 pounds. That's up from 270 about two years ago. My target weight is 220. I'm a big boy, and 220 would be mighty svelte indeed. I'll be working intensively to reach that in the next 18 months. Stay tuned for a regular running tally. Let's call it the Ultimate Blogger Makeover! Maybe I'll take up cocaine...

As for now, I'm just keeping my head down. Nothing will distract me. Not even the take-out Donburi from Mitsuwa.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Spencer!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you!

6:42 PM  
Blogger David said...

All the best, man. Thinking good thoughts for you.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spencer, I love your blog. I came across it for the first time today, linked from a post on Towelroad...anyway, I can totally identify with your struggle with weight and eating. Best wishes for a succesful surgery, speedy recovery and a new, lighter life! I'll pray and send good mojo!

11:13 PM  
Blogger JennaRN2008 said...

Will be keeping you in my thoughts tomorrow, Good Luck!!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck man, hope everything goes well!

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling, you've already proven yourself to be extremely fabulous long ago. And all this open sharing of what you're going through just makes us respect you more.

Good luck tomorrow!!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home