Sunday, February 05, 2006

I'm Alive!

Well, I made it through surgery, and I'm now home from the hospital. Still exhausted, sore, and uncomfortable, but doing OK. I've mastered getting up and down, walking, and having juice, Jell-o, and clear broth. The liquid diet is going to last for at least another 10 days, and I'm sure it'll get old, but I have no desire to eat anyway.

A couple of quick observations:

1) I lost 12 pounds in the two days before the surgery, just by eating no solid foods. I felt bad at first, then much better. I think an occasional fast is probably a good thing.

2) Cedars/Sanai is a very plush hospital. It's good to have insurance. Very good.

3) There is an obscene amount of food advertising on television. I noticed, because the ads inevitably filled me with nausea. But seriously, a good 1/3 of TV advertising must be for food, especially late at night.

4) It sucks not being able to laugh, even temporarily.

OK, I'm going to go lay down some more and watch the silly game. I'm sure it'll be a blowout. Thanks again for the kind words and e-mails! I expect to resume semi-regular blogging in a couple of days.

Cheers,
Spence

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your success... I was kinda worried there for a minute. Working from home this week, so if you need anything, just let me know. -Dave Friedman

10:10 PM  
Blogger lakeside said...

welcome back home slice.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see your good cheer's intact! Thanks for sharing all these details... Don't forget to take pictures now so you'll have good "before" photos later.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone named "Spence" from Utah ought to have no problem whatsoever coping with Jell-O. ;)

Seriously, good luck on recovery from surgery and returning to good health. I've never had a weight issue myself, but know many who have and some who have had a surgical procedure. So far it sounds like you have avoided the usual complications, hope it stays that way.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home